Chicken Broccoli Rice (Instant Pot)
Perfectly cooked creamy rice stud with emerald broccoli, melted cheese, and juicy cooked chicken breast. All prepared in one pot!
Sharing today, everyone's favorite Chicken Broccoli Rice casserole, ready without oven with this easy Instant Pot cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice recipe. Homey, flavorful and weeknight approved with only 15 minutes of prep. This recipe is gluten free and also great option for Meal Prep.
Over the years, classic chicken rice and broccoli casserole is cooked in multiple steps and pots, with ingredients such as canned cream of chicken soup. I wanted to lighten-up, freshen-up and share a one-pot recipe that is healthier and weeknight approved. Honestly, this recipe is a breeze. It is easy to cook, lighter than classic chicken and broccoli casserole and still has that nostalgic creamy cheese, chicken, broccoli and rice flavor.
Try this and you will never cook this classic favorite any other way again.
Look at the perfectly cooked long grain rice stud with emerald broccoli, melted cheddar cheese, juicy cooked chicken breast with garnish of fresh parsley and scallions. What you don't see is fresh garlic, seasonings, and Parmesan Cheese melted in hot cooked rice adding scrumptious depth of flavor. A must try easy recipe.
WHY TRY THIS RECIPE?
If you own an Instant Pot and looking to maximize it's usage? This recipe will become one of your favorite to cook in IP. Let me summarize what makes it even extra-special:
- Delicious Chicken Broccoli and rice with cheddar cheese prepared in fully in one pot - Instant Pot. No need to switch on oven or even stove top. Just one Instant Pot and done.
- Perfectly cooked creamy rice with distinct flavor of broccoli, chicken with all fresh ingredients. I replaced canned chicken soup (traditional chicken broccoli casserole staple) with homemade chicken stock. Or you can also use water with organic chicken concentrate.
With right ratio of liquid to rice, rice cook perfectly in IP in less time and taste spot-on delicious and homey.
- Weeknight approved easy recipe with only 10 minutes prep. I love such easy recipes to serve homemade dinner on weeknight. Even when I have busy day, 15 minutes active prep and a healthier homey dinner is complete win-win. Recipe needs no extra preparation.
As long as I have chicken breast or thigh, broccoli, cheese, long grain white rice, and chicken stock in pantry... this recipe comes together in breeze.
HOW TO PREPARE CHICKEN BROCCOLI RICE?
To prepare Chicken Broccoli and Rice in Instant Pot, I start by washing the long grain white rice under running water and then leave aside. Washing rice help get rid of extra starch and rice cook perfectly in IP.
Next, I switch on Instant Pot on Saute setting and let it heat up until it reads "Hot". I coat pot with cooking spray to create non-stick surface. Season chicken with salt and black pepper and then sear in pot until both sides are light brown, about 2 minutes each side.
Note: I used skinless, boneless chicken breast for this recipe. You can also use bone-in chicken thigh or any cut of chicken you prefer. Just don't forget to sear chicken before cooking to lock in juices.
Next, I take out chicken in a plate. Add some oil/butter in pot with onion, garlic and saute until onion are soft. You can also add more veggies in this step such as bell pepper, celery, green peas. Once onions are soft, I add washed rice in pot and saute'em until rice turn milky white (3-4 minutes). This give distinct nutty texture to rice. I highly recommend following this step.
Next, I add chicken stock, seasonings into pot, return chicken to pot and cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes. Once timer is up. I open the pot, take out chicken and add broccoli florets, Parmesan and cheddar cheese in pot. Mix with quick 1-2 light strokes. (Don't over mix). Place back lid of IP and leave aside (switch off). In this time, broccoli steams perfectly in residual heat and cooks crisp tender. Cheese melts and make rice creamy and delicious. After 5 minutes, cheesy Chicken Rice and Broccoli are ready to serve.
TIP TO ADAPT CHICKEN BROCCOLI TO YOUR OWN PREFERENCE:
- Use any cut of chicken meat. Thigh or breast, skinless or boneless. All work great without any change. You can also add more chicken or less depending upon size of your IP.
- Add more veggies such as diced celery, green peas, carrots.
- Use fresh chicken stock (recommended) or use water with chicken stock concentrate.
- Use frozen or fresh broccoli florets. I often bring fresh broccoli, cut in florets and freeze. This helps me use broccoli in cooking and for recipes without a trip to grocery store or it getting bad in fridge. For this recipe I used frozen broccoli. If using fresh leave pot covered in Step 6 for 2 minutes longer.
- For heat, add more crushed black pepper, cayenne, or minced fresh jalapeno.
- Serve with fresh sliced radish, pickle, or tomato salad for extra serving of veggies and complete wholesome meal.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPES:
Here are reader's top favorite Instant Pot Chicken with Rice recipes:
Now when you crave cheesy Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole, don't switch on oven just start the Instant Pot!
Chicken Broccoli Rice (Instant Pot)reviews) (2
- 1. Heat Instant Pot to Saute setting until it reads "Hot". Spray with cooking oil.
- 2. Pat dry chicken with paper towel, and then season with salt and black pepper. Place skinned side down in Instant Pot. Let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes or until it is brown. Flip and cook other side for 2 minutes. Remove chicken in a plate and set aside.
- 3. Add oil and butter in now empty Instant Pot. Add white of green onion, garlic, pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes or until onions are soft. Add washed white rice. Cook stirring often until rice are milky white. (about 3-4 minutes)
- 4. Add chicken stock, 1/2 tsp of salt. Mix well. Taste and adjust salt. Return chicken in pot, place on top. Place lid. Set to cook on Manual - High Pressure for 4 minutes.
- 5. Once timer is up. Turn off Instant Pot. Quick Release the pressure. Open lid. Fish out thyme sprigs. Take out chicken and slice. Add broccoli florets, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, diced green part of scallion, diced bell pepper, and chopped parsley. Gently fold everything in rice. Place lid back on pot and leave aside (switched off) for 5 minutes.
- 6. After 5 minutes, open the lid. Return diced chicken in pot. Garnish with more parsley if desire. Ladle to serving bowls. Serve while still hot and enjoy!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.