Creamy Asparagus Pasta
Welcome spring with a creamy Pasta for dinner with sweet spring vegetables asparagus and green peas. From kids to adult, this pasta recipe everyone will enjoy!
Asparagus Penne Pasta with creamy lemon-garlic parmesan cheese sauce. This pasta recipe is easy and versatile to pair with any dinner you planned for weeknight. Whether you like chicken, salmon or vegetarian, this delicious asparagus pasta you can serve with any of your favorite protein.
Pasta dishes such as this Asparagus and Green Peas Penne solves two purpose on dinner table. 1) A hearty dinner side 2) Good serving of seasonal vegetables. It makes total sense to keep pasta vegetarian because this gives me opportunity to serve any protein my family prefer on the side.
So, let's make some creamy-dreamy Asparagus Pasta today!
Asparagus Pasta comes together very quickly. I use one pot of salted water to cook the penne pasta and blanch the asparagus. This easy step helps me finish pasta in just few pans, start to end. One pot for cooking pasta and asparagus, second for making sauce for pasta. In-fact, if you serving chicken or salmon for dinner? You can cook that in same saute pan in which you will be making cream sauce. Less dishes to clean!
To make the asparagus pasta, I start by bringing a pot of water to rolling boil. Season with salt. Trim asparagus and add to boiling water. Asparagus cooks very fast. Moment it starts turn dark green color, remove from hot water and rinse/place in ice cold water. Set aside. In same pot, boil fresh water, season with salt and cook pasta until al-dente/as per package directions.
Optional - Cook pan seared chicken or salmon as recipe suggests. Once done remove chicken in plate. In the same pan proceed with cooking cream sauce for asparagus pasta. Once sauce is ready, mix in cooked pasta, asparagus and chicken (if using). That's it. Creamy asparagus pasta is ready.
This is a kind of recipe you can easily make your own. Like I used green peas with asparagus for a spring inspired veggie-forward pasta. You can also add/substitute in some broccoli or snap peas per preference.
Friends, stores are loaded with fresh asparagus. I could not resist bringing a few pound home every visit. We are, obviously, big fans of asparagus.
If you too are fan of asparagus? I recommend checking out these asparagus recipes on the blog:
- Roasted Garlic Salmon and Asparagus
- Asparagus Soup
- Roasted Asparagus Pasta Salad
- Chicken Caesar Asparagus Salad
- Grilled Chimichurri Shrimp and Asparagus with Pearl Couscous
Can't wait to share another delicious recipe with you next time. Until then, bring home asparagus and make this creamy pasta for dinner. I bet you have rest of ingredients for this recipe in your pantry/fridge already. Happy Cooking!
Creamy Asparagus Pastareviews) (2
- 1 lbs Pasta (penne or bow-tie pasta)
- 1 Cup Green Peas (frozen)
- 1 lbs Asparagus (hard stem trimmed and rest cut to 3 inch pieces)
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese (8 ounce cream cheese or boursin cheese)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- 1/2 Bunch Basil (leaves)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 Shallot Onions (1/4 cup when small diced)
- 1 tsp Garlic (1-2 cloves of garlic, minced)
- 1 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Sun-dried Tomatoes (2 tomatoes, small diced)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1. Cook Asparagus: In a bowl, add water with ice. Set aside. Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Add trimmed and cut asparagus. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until asparagus is dark green in color. Drain water. Add asparagus to water with ice. Set aside.
- 2. Cook penne pasta according to package direction. Once cooked, drain pasta reserving 1/2 cup of liquid.
- 3. Cook Pasta Sauce - While pasta cooks, heat a deep large saute pan or skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil and shallot. Cook until onions are soft. Now add diced sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds to flavor the oil. Sprinkle flour on top and cook stirring often for 1 minute. Add lukewarm milk. Stir often until milk thickens and there are no lumps. Mix in 1/2 tsp salt, chicken stock, cream cheese and half of parmesan cheese. Stir until fully combined.
- 4. Assemble Asparagus Pasta - Add green peas, cooked asparagus, lemon juice, cooked and drained penne pasta, half of chopped basil to the skillet with 1/2 cup of reserved pasta liquid. Toss the pasta with sauce sitting at the bottom of pan until pasta looks creamy and everything is well distributed. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- 5. Transfer hot and creamy Asparagus Pasta to serving bowls, sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on the top. Garnish with remaining chopped basil leaves. Serve and enjoy.
- You can replace lemon in the recipe with lemon-pepper seasoning. Skip adding salt and adjust salt to taste after finishing cooking.
- Add 1/4 tsp chili flakes for some heat. (optional)
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.