Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad
Delicious Kale Salad with apple, cranberries, crispy parmesan roasted Brussels Sprouts with creamy honey-mustard dressing.
Kale Brussel Sprout Salad - A Recipe to Celebrate the Season. Stores are loaded with fresh brussel sprouts and I could not resist bringing a few pound home. After all, it is That time of the year.. Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Stuffed Turkey, Mashed Potatoes and gorgeous cranberries..
To help you prepare for the in-kitchen festivities, I’m sharing the recipe for a delightful Kale and Crispy Brussel Sprouts Salad. This delicious Kale Salad is laced with seasonal apples, cranberries, crispy roasted Burssel Sprouts and a creamy honey-mustard dressing. Gluten free. Nuts free.
Brussel Sprout is one of my favorite seasonal vegetable. Every season, I wait for arrival of Brussel Sprout in store. As soon as it arrives, I have our weekly menu loaded with these easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts and Apple Salad, Soy Glazed Brussel Sprouts, Coconut Curry Brussel Sprouts and various other Brussel Sprout recipes.
Not only this Kale Brussel Sprout Salad is a recipe to celebrate the festive season.. It is also a healthy salad loaded with green kale, apples, and cranberries. I love such salads for dinner with side of Honey Lemon Chicken or Bruschetta Chicken. Leftovers are perfect to pack for lunch.
This Kale Salad is also gluten free and nuts free. The nutty crispy roasted Parmesan Brussel Sprouts take place of nutty crunch of nuts and bread croutons. You will not feel for a second that this salad is so low in carbs yet has all bells and whistles of being an amazing festive dinner salad. A little sneak of healthy in menu full of classic favorites. (Don't even get me started on the load of vitamins, anti-oxidants and calcium all these mighty ingredients bringing to the salad bowl.) Such a wining addition to any day dinner menu.
Dressing for Kale Brussel Sprout Salad
The dressing for Kale Brussel Sprout Salad is as important as salad.
Since I planned to serve this Kale Salad for weekend family dinner.. I wanted dressing that is not over-loaded but still stand well to study raw kale and crispy brussel sprouts. Savory brussel sprouts and kale needed something sweet and sour. So, honey-mustard with hint of mayo made perfect sense.
Note: You can go all vegetarian by replacing mayo with vegan mayo or a tablespoon of Sour Cream.
I love creating new and update classic Salad Dressing recipes that I can add to salads. Without doubt, a salad dressing can make or break a salad. This lite yet creamy Honey Mustard dressing stands good to test. It gives kale the perfect sweet and sharp bite without any watery vinaigrette collecting at the bottom of the salad bowl.
I also recommend trying following Salad Dressing as a variation.
This festive season, don't forget the greens. Bring home the vibrant color and texture of this easy and healthy Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad.
Serve Kale Salad with a seasonal soup:
Kale and Brussel Sprout Saladreview) (1
- Crispy Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lbs Brussel Sprout (cleaned, trimmed and sliced lengthwise)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, 1/4 cup more shaved for serving)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 Garlic (whole peeled cloves, optional)
- Kale and Apple Salad
- 2 Bunch Kale (lacinato or dino kale, washed, rib removed and sliced into thin ribbons)
- 2 Apple (honey crisp or gala, cored and thin sliced)
- 1/3 Cup Cranberries (dried)
- 1/2 Bunch Green Onion (thin sliced at bias, optional)
- Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (1/4 tsp each of salt and black pepper. Adjust as per taste.)
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat an oven safe large cast iron skillet on stove top.
- 2. Prepare Brussel Sprouts: Trim brussel sprouts and slice lengthwise into 2-3 slices each (1/4 of an inch per slice). Leave small one halved. Add sliced brussel sprout and garlic clove (if using) to a bowl. Drizzle olive oil and generous 2-3 pinch of salt, black pepper.
- 3. Roast Brussel Sprouts: Add sprouts to heated skillet, in single layer as much as possible. Let cook on high heat for 2 minutes or until the side touching the pan is turning caramelized. Stir brussel sprouts with spatula. Transfer pan to preheated oven and roast for 10 minutes. Stir sprouts with spatula once more after 5 minutes. Take out at 9 minutes mark and sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese on the brussel sprouts. Return to oven and continue roast 1 more minute or until cheese is crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- 4. Prepare Salad: In a wide salad serving bowl, add all of the salad dressing ingredients - mustard, honey, mayo, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Add sliced kale and toss with salad spoons to coat kale in dressing as mush as possible. Top with sliced apples, scallion (if using), and dried cranberries.
- 5. Top with crispy roasted brussel sprouts and shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!
- To make vegan, omit shaved parmesan and omit parmesan while roasting Brussel Sprouts. Replace mayonnaise with vegan mayo (veganaise).
- For more crunch, you can also add Roasted Chickpeas to this salad from my Chicken Caesar Salad recipe.
- Save leftovers in air-tight container for up-to 2 days. Kale Salad stays fresh and vibrant up-to 2-3 days. Brussel Sprouts are best and crispy when roasted fresh out of the oven. Salad dressing stays fresh up-to a week.
- For best flavor, use organic sweet plum dried cranberries.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.