Indian Butter Chicken
Butter makes everything taste good, to see this statement in action, you have to try this butter chicken recipe. You will not find a single Indian Restaurant without butter chicken in menu, it is that special.
Are you often intimidated by cooking Indian food at home? Well, this recipe will change you perception about Indian Cooking. Everything in this recipe is the butter and spices mixed chicken marinade, then rest is letting chicken marinate for an hour, cook in butter for 10-15 minutes and then bake for 60 minutes. Voila!!! Butter Chicken is ready.
You still think it is hard? Lets jump to the directions and see for yourself.
If you wondering about rice I have served with butter chicken in the pictures, check out my Lemon Rice recipe.
So what are you waiting for? If you like Indian cooking then thaw some chicken, marinade, bake and enjoy some yummy Indian Dinner with butter chicken and rice tonight.
My favorite sides to accompany with Homemade Butter Chicken:
Indian Butter Chicken
- 1 lbs Chicken (boneless chicken thighs )
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (or grate 4 cloves of garlic and 1 inch ginger root)
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (or chili powder)
- 1 Cup Tomatoes (small diced + 2 tbsp tomatoes paste)
- 1/3 Cup Yogurt (well beaten)
- 5 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (fine processed)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 Red Onion (small onion thin sliced half moons)
- 4 Cardamom (cardamom pods or 1/2 tsp cardamom powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 4 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro (Optional)
1. In a wide bowl, add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, fine crushed almonds, salt and spices.2. Add yogurt and mix well.
3. Add chicken (roughly cut into 2 to 3 inch cubes) and coat with marinade.4. Cover and let it marinate for at-least 1 hr in refrigerator (longer the better)
5. Preheat over at 350 F. Heat butter in a wide pan, add sliced onions and saute till soft and translucent (5 minutes). Add marinated chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes.6. Transfer par-cooked chicken to a wide baking dish (I used 8 inch by 8 inch square pan). mix in heavy cream and cilantro(optional). Bake covered for 25 minutes, then uncover and continue baking for another 5 minutes or until chicken is nice brown on top and fully cooked. Serve hot with your choice of rice or Indian naan bread. Additional Notes: Optional - before serving, place butter chicken under broiler for 1-2 minutes.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe