Stuffed Baby Eggplant Bites
Posted By Savita
I love baby eggplant available once-in-a-while in farmers market. I often try various different combinations to stuff and bake these cute little eggplants (also known as brinjal or aubergines). Few of my most favorite stuffing are curried sweet yellow onions or tomato and cheese.
Many people often don't like taste of eggplants. Here is a quick recipe which explodes with flavor and will make any eggplant-hater love it in very first bite. Eggplant are soft and sweet, and baked breadcrumbs and cheese make nice crispy topping.
You can also mix some grated cheddar cheese with topping, however I have only used parmesan cheese and panko breadcrumbs for this recipe.
Or Eggplant Parmigiana for Appetizer!
Well, this is yet another delicious way you can serve these eggplant bites! As "Eggplant Parmigiana Bites".
Just top each baby eggplant with some grated mozzarella. No change in recipe instructions, and then instead of ketchup or chutney, serve it with side of warm Marinara Sauce. How good does that sound!
Sounds great to me!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Stuffed Baby Eggplant Bites
- 5-6 Egg Plant Or Brinjal (small baby eggplants)
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs (Panko Breadcrumbs)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion (small size onion small diced)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- Salt (per taste)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated cheese)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Preheat over at 400 degree Fahrenheit. Slice baby eggplants into halves length-wise. Scoop out the pulp of eggplants with small spoon keeping 1/4 inch pulp still attached to skin. Place eggplant halves in a bowl, toss with 1 tbsp oil and salt per taste (2-3 pinches) and leave aside.
2. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add diced onion and eggplant pulp and saute till onions are translucent. Add red pepper flakes, curry powder and continue saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste and remove from heat.
3. Stuff eggplants halves with the cooked mixture and pack it tight using spoon. Arrange eggplants on baking sheet with stuffed side facing up.4. Top each with 1/2 to 1 tbsp breadcrumbs and cheese mixture. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp oil (optional) and bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes until eggplants are knife tender and breadcrumbs are brown and crispy.
5. Remove from baking sheet and serve hot with cilantro chutney or tomato ketchup on the side. Or serve with Marinara Sauce for eggplant parmigiana bites!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.