Egg-less Rice Pudding with Almonds
An easy. egg-less, and creamy long grain rice pudding, with citrus scent, and Blue Diamond Roasted Almonds. (This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds.)
Posted By Savita
Milk, almonds, condensed milk, and long grain rice. It is really amazing how a few simple ingredients can be transformed into something SO good: an egg-less creamy Rice Pudding! Really a TREAT in summers, for kids of any age! ;)
Just now, our local police issued an intense Heat Advisory warning through-out Southern California! In such hot weather, all we feel like to eat is something cold, chilled, refreshing, and hydrating! Now, we can't survive on drinks alone. So I thought a chilled dessert like Rice Pudding will be perfect to beat the heat!
So when Blue Diamond sent me their delicious, Oven Roasted Blueberry and Over Roasted Salted Caramel Almonds.... My desire to eat chilled, Almond and Rice Pudding, even grew stronger. Lucky for me, hint of salt and sweetness of caramel from these crunchy Salted Caramel Almonds made this rice pudding, a savory gourmet dessert! Actually, I'm SO in love with these sweet and salty almonds that I munched more than I added to pudding ;-)
Bonus! I topped pudding with some crushed blueberry almonds for extra fruity bite. Blue Diamond Blueberry Almonds are oven roasted with no artificial flavor or preservatives. With 5g of protein per serving, these are almonds are perfect for healthy snacking or topping on dessert, like this Rice Pudding, for delicious nutty crunch!
Tell me, who would not like, a little hint of salt with caramel, or fruity blueberry flavor with crunch of almonds, in a bowl full of creamy rice pudding? That's sure not me! Despite my best attempts, I can’t eat or serve, one note, over sweet or heavy desserts. I got have some texture, some savory touch, and lite-on-stomach feel, most of the times...... unless of-course Vishal (my sweets fanatic) declares to eat ALL Sweet dessert, only. ;-)
I don’t think people ordinarily consider salt while thinking sweet! But, I have to tell you, a little hint of salt can take your otherwise sweet dessert to whole new level!. We all love salted caramel in desserts, don't we? Salty bursts of crunchy almonds, really elevate this sweet rice pudding into something seriously delicious! I crushed and folded a handful of almonds into rice pudding, and used rest on top for extra crunch.
Few words about egg-less nature of this creamy pudding. This rice pudding is reminiscent of Indian Rice Kheer which NEVER has eggs. It is long grain rice cooked low and slow with just milk and sugar.... until starch in rice makes everything creamy and delicious. For this recipe, I opted to use condensed milk instead of cooking rice for long time. A little cheating.... but worth to serve creamy pudding quickly.... no long perching on stove!!
I'm not sure how is weather in your part of the world... however, we are having a HOT HOT daytime advisory for whole next week. I'm planning to enjoy my weekend with a small serving of my chilled Rice Pudding, you should too!
Have a great weekend, my friends! Stay safe and hydrate well in summers.
Egg-less Rice Pudding with Almonds
- Rice Pudding
- 200 Grams Sweet Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice (or Jasmine Long Grain Rice)
- 2 Cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Almonds (Blue Diamond Salted Carmel Almonds)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (Blue Diamond Blueberry Almonds)
- 1 tbsp Oranges (zest, optional)
- 1/2 Cup Water
1. In a deep heavy bottom pan, add 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, and rinsed long grain rice.2. Bring to boil on high heat (about 2 minutes) and then reduce heat to medium until rice are cooked.(about 12 minutes for long grain basmati)
3. Add remaining 1 cup milk, condensed milk and cook for another 5-8 minutes on medium-high or until liquid is almost absorbed. Keep an eye, don't let rice burn.4. Transfer cooked rice to a wide shallow pan and cover top with cling-wrap. Set aside to cool and then refrigerate until chilled (at-least 1 hour)
5. Before serving, chop half of Salted Caramel Almonds and fold into pudding. Divide chilled into 4 serving cups. Top with remaining chopped salted caramel and blueberry almonds, and orange zest (if using).6. Keep refrigerated until ready to use or serve immediately.
Savita's Recipe Notes:
Pudding Too Thick after Chilling? Once chilled, if pudding is too thick since warm rice were absorbing liquid quickly, add 1-2 tbsp cold milk in chilled pudding and fold well. Cold rice will not absorb all of this milk and pudding consistency will be much more creamier!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe