Hearts and Livers
Healthy and Spicy Chicken Hearts and Livers Masala Curry
Posted By Savita
Many people do not like taste of liver, so I have added few hearts for some flavor and texture.
I have an excellent idea for liver curry leftovers (if you can resist not to finish it all or if you have picky eaters who do not like taste of cooked livers). Just shred the cooked livers and hearts into bite size pieces, top it on tacos with fresh salsa and sour cream to celebrate healthy yet scrumptious Taco Night.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Hearts and Livers
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (Chopped)
- 1 lbs Chicken Giblets (Chicken livers, hearts and gizzards too if you like)
- 1 tsp Turmeric (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds (Or Cumin Powder)
- 4 tbsp Green Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Hot Green Pepper (small)
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 tbsp Cilantro
- 3 Garlic (Cloves)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Grated Or Crushed)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Grind onions, cilantro, green peppers and garlic. Add vinegar and 1 tbsp Oilve oil while grinding2. Heat 3 tbsp Oil in a deep Heavy Bottom pan. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds and then add 4-5 tbsp of grinded mixture and fry till light brown in color. Now add ginger paste and fry for 30 seconds. Add turmeric and Red Pepper Powder and fry for 1 minute. Add coriander powder, salt and 1 tbsp tomato paste (Optional) and stir to combine.
3. Add chicken hearts first and fry till raw meat texture disappears (about 2 minutes). Keep stirring continuously so that onion mixture does not burn. You can add some water (1 to 2 tbsp) to avoid it sticking to the bottom of pan. Now add chicken livers and fry for another 2 minutes, then add 1 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes.
Additional NotesIf you are also cooking chicken gizzards with livers and hearts, I suggest to cook gizzards for 5 minutes before adding in hearts since gizzards take little longer to get tender. If you have pressure cook, pressure cook these for 10 minutes instead of boiling. Increase water if it appears to be drying out.4. Once hearts and livers are done to your liking, increase heat so that water (if left any) dry out. Stir fry curry for another 5 minutes or till you see oil separating from the mixture. This step is very important for the success of this recipe, so make sure to fry till oil separates. You can serve these for snack or for main course. And I am sure you will be making'em once again soon. Enjoy!!
Savita's Notes:Chicken Hearts and Liver Curry goes perfect with Naan Bread or any kind of flat bread and I guarantee that your picky eaters will love it.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.