Roasted Tomato and Smoked Salmon Potato Latkes
Thanks to Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser for sponsoring this post. All opinions expressed are mine alone. #RockTheHolidays #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Made from scratch, easy mini Potato Latkes topped with sweet roasted cherry tomatoes, smoked salmon, and cooling sour cream! This scrumptious appetizer not only has festive colors of red, green, and white but also is very easy to prepare. Seriously, latkes are ready by the time cherry tomatoes roast in oven..... then just assemble and serve! How easy does that sound?
Do you too believe food is the BEST part of any holiday gathering??
I mean, look at these gorgeous mini latkes or pancakes with beautiful array of festive colors! A few simple toppings have added the magic?!
Serve potato latkes mini as party starter or larger for holiday breakfast, they are perfect either way!!
Aren't these looking yumm?!
I'm huge fan of cooking a lots of food for holidays. For the record, there is something really special about cooking and serving homemade food to friends and family!
Our holiday dinners are mostly just special friends and family..... and whether it is our house or someone else's, I'm often in-charge of bringing appetizers and hearty sides. So every year, my practice and sampling session starts way before Christmas time. You know what? When I'm standing for long hours in kitchen.... making potato latkes... roasting tomatoes... and preparing Shrimp Cocktails, I need two of my important companions: A glass of drink to sip along and some lite music playing on my Spotify Station!
What else would a foodie and kitchen enthusiast need? Cook and enjoy the holiday time and make lots of delicious food while soft holiday Pops or sometimes even instrumental classics playing on phone.
Remember!! A party is as good as it's appetizers!! Plus set the festive ambiance with Simple Choice™ Music Freedom and just rock the holidays!
Oh, and don't forget to buy good quality smoked salmon. You don't need a whole lot for these mini potato latkes.
I'm certain you can tell from number of Roasted Tomatoes post I have that I love love roasting tomatoes. I highly recommend roasting the cherry tomatoes for this recipe. Roasting concentrates the flavor of already sweet cherry tomatoes.... which compliments the savory potatoes latkes and smoked salmon. Freshness of sour cream makes every bite even more scrumptious and little hint of chives tie-up the beautiful red-green-white Christmas holiday theme.
Ingredients for latkes (or mini potato pancakes) are very simple and easy to find. A lots of time frozen hash-browns are used for latkes... you can do that if you don't want to grate fresh potatoes. I, however, prefer fresh grated potatoes with moisture dried-out using paper towel. This really helps make crispy and delicious latkes!
I hope you enjoying the week so far and are all set to have great holidays!
Do you have a holiday playlist? I would love to hear your favorites?
A few more delicious Potato Recipes:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Roasted Tomato and Smoked Salmon Potato Latkes
- 2 Cup Potatoes (large coarse grated, or use 2 cups frozen hash browns)
- 1 tsp Jalapeno (1/4 jalapeno, small minced, optional)
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (1/4 tsp each)
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1.5 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Red Onion (very small chopped)
- 2-3 Chives (small chopped, for garnish)
- 1 Lemon (sliced wedges, for serving)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 200 Grams Salmon (about 1/2 of pound, smoked, and thin sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (or grape tomatoes, halved)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Roast Tomatoes: Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, add cherry tomatoes, olive oil, slat and black pepper. Toss well then spread on sheet. Roast in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until skin has wrinkled and tomatoes are little charred. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, then transfer to in bowl and set aside.
2. Grate potatoes using coarse match-stick grater. Squeeze extra water and then spread on paper towel to dry out any remaining moisture.
3. In a wide bowl, take all ingredients for latkes except canola oil and potatoes. Add grated potatoes and mix well.4. Heat a non-stick skillet with 1/2 tablespoon oil. (use more if needed). Use a healing teaspoon potato mixture to make 4-6 mini latkas,flatten with back of spoon. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
5. Flip and cook other side for 3 minutes then remove on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for remaining potato mixture using remaining oil.6. Once all latkas are ready. Arrange them on serving plate. Top each with a piece of smoked salmon, tsp sour cream, and roasted cherry tomato halves. Garnish with chives and serve!
Make large potato latkes to serve for Christmas Brunch or Breakfast or make mini to serve as appetizer.
Recipe doubles easily. Make as many as you need and enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.