Meatless Meatballs with Beans and Tomato Sauce
A vegan and gluten free veggie-full dinner with flavorful meatless zucchini meatball style koftas simmered in creamy garlicky bean and tomato sauce.
Posted By Savita
Vegetarian zucchini meatballs or koftas simmered in homemade black beans and tomato sauce. A hearty and veggie-full dinner which is vegan as well as gluten free! How good is that?
This is one of the most favorite meatless dinner on my weekday menu! Often I serve kofta and bean dinner with rice and side of yogurt. But guess what? This yogurt is vegan! *Vegan Almond Yogurt!
Oh, and also sharing a super simple cheat to make any bean sauce rich and creamy without any creamer or thickener!!
Dinner is one meal of the weekdays which we love to take time to enjoy... In my home, it is the time to sit together, discuss the day, unwind and enjoy the food. You know, how breakfast and lunch goes in busy families? It is no different in ours :)
As much as weekday dinner needs to be quick and delicious, I make sure to also keep'em healthier with good dose of veggies and hearty flavors.
Like these vegetarian zucchini meatballs with bean sauce make a super hearty yet vegetarian dinner! Plus for me? I cook and freeze few zucchini meatballs at weekend and then just make the sauce before serving dinner over weekdays.
Oh, now you know, why am I sharing a meatless dinner on Friday! Just so to give you a mini project! Make some vegetarian meatballs this weekend and then enjoy delicious dinner any day of the week... under 20 minutes!
This recipe is sure product of my fusion kitchen. Of course Mexican flavored bean sauce meeting the indian-style koftas which are super easy to cook. Actually, anything tasty does not need culture or cuisine boundaries. In my kitchen, if Mexican salsa will taste great with Indian beans and rice... I will serve it! And I have humble companion who will eat what I cook no matter what! Actually, it should be delicious, then he won't mind! haha. And that's my primary intent when I making fusion recipes ;-)
Guys, this week was so super crazy.... I wasn't sure if I can show up today to share a recipe. Honestly, I closed and opened the laptop few times before deciding to not skip seeing you beautiful people. I think, I made an excellent choice! Otherwise these delicious meatballs and bean sauce could have sat in my mind whole day... whole weekend! Plus I really wanted to gave you this as weekend project :)
Now, I wanted to make zucchini meatball gluten free, so I have used corn flour for binding. If you don't care for gluten, or just because you want to.... feel free to use regular flour or chickpea flour or even rice flour. These meatballs are so forgiving... any of these will work. All you need to take care is: Only add that much flour which is good for binding the balls. Not too much. Just add a little at a time util you can hold zucchini mixture in hand and press to make a meatballs which does not break or crumble!
Honoring the lateness of the hour and half sleeping blogger.. :) I'm wishing you a good weekend and a wonderful day! Cheers! -Savita
Are you Beans Fan? I have some delicious recipes for you!!
Meatless Meatballs with Beans and Tomato Sauce
- 2 Zucchini (grated, water squeezed)
- 1/3 Cup Corn Flour
- 2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (fresh grated 1 tsp garlic)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika (1/4 tsp and rest divided)
- Canola Oil (for frying)
- Cilantro (coriander leaves, for garnish)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Whole Dry Red Pepper (dry red chili, optional)
- 4 Cup Black Beans (two 15 ounce can of beans)
- 1.5 Cup Tomatoes (16 ounce can of tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 1 tbsp Garlic (2-3 cloves, small chopped)
- 1 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Almonds (yogurt )
Bean and Tomato Chili Sauce
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Heat oil in a skillet. In bowl combine all of the Zucchini Meatballs ingredients and mix well. Puree 1/2 cup of beans in food processor with few table spoons of water until creamy and fine pureed.2. Divide mixture into 10 equal portions and roll to make small Zucchini meatballs. Set aside.
3. When oil is medium hot (375 degrees Fahrenheit), fry the Zucchini Meatballs until crispy from all sides. Remove meatballs in a paper lined plate to drain excess oil and set aside.
Additional NotesYou can also bake Zucchini Meatballs at 350 degrees F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.4. Discard all oil from skillet leaving behind 2 tbsp. Add chopped onion and garlic until onion are slight brown at edges. Add oregano, bay leaf, dry red chili, coriander powder, and tomato paste. Cook for 1 more minute.
5. Add pureed tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt , then cook until oil separates (5-6 minutes)6. Add rinsed black beans, pureed black beans, and 1 cup of vegetable stock. Mix well, bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes covered.
7. Uncover, add Zucchini Meatballs and cook until everything heated through. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Creamy Bean Sauce: Puree 1/2 cup of beans in food processor with few table spoons of water until creamy and fine pureed. Add it to simmering beans for extra flavor, thick creamy texture and wonderful taste.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please DO NOT copy content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.