Brioche Dinner Rolls
Festive pull-apart buttery brioche dinner rolls. Perfect for holiday dinner.
Posted By Savita
Brioche Dinner Rolls, my festive take on dinner rolls with buttery petite brioche. I snuggled these gorgeous mini brioche in a pan to serve family-style pull-apart dinner rolls.
Do these look festive or what?
The best part is, these are rich, buttery, soft, and pillow-like dinner rolls which only need 7 pantry ingredients. The toppings of poppy and sesame seeds was my touch but you can top'em with any available options. Pepeita seeds, roasted garlic, or even pecans would be great.
This is my go-to recipe to make brioche bread at home. Idea to make brioche dinner rolls came to me in a bakery where petite brioche rolls were sold by dozen. I loved those cute little miniature brioches and decided to fit these cozy together in one pan for that pull-apart family dinner experience. I must say, I don't regret a thing. Not only these look good but baking tuck together kept rolls more moist.
Vishal is FAN of homemade rolls and I like to bake'em or freeze over weekend. This recipe is freezer approved. It will not disappoint you if you want to cover-up some work before big family Thanksgiving dinner. Can be frozen up-to 6 months. Just follow recipe up-to step 5, then assemble in freezer safe large pie or rectangular dish. Wrap and freeze. (more on this ahead)
Let's not wait. Learn to make these gorgeous holiday dinner rolls!
Like I said, this Brioche dough recipe is variation of my brioche bread recipe. I started making brioche at home after being fed-up of price of brioche rolls in stores. Have you had this experience? Seriously, a 6-10 pack brioche rolls sell for $6+. So, why not spend sometime at home and perfect a recipe. Plus it will have tag of "homemade". Yes, please!!!
This reminds me to ask you.. Do you know there are three kinds of brioche?
Poor man's brioche - Few hours process, least amount of eggs and butter. Good for everyday use.
Everyone's brioche - Overnight process, use moderate amount of butter and eggs. It is moist, soft, and delicious buttery.
Rich man's brioche - 2 days process, lot more eggs and butter. Very buttery, and flaky.
I'm not sure which recipe stores follow.. but it definitely has price tag of Rich Man's Brioche ;-) lol!
When baking for everyday dinner, I stick to poor man's recipe. For special occasions like today's dinner rolls, I use a mix of first two which make buttery brioche rolls but are quick and simple.
To bake brioche dinner rolls, I follow one tiny extra step than regular breads. I create a 20 minutes foam instead of just blooming the yeast. This foam gives airy texture to the bread as if I have used Bigah (Italian fermented mother dough).
After foam is ready, the process of making dough is as simple as any dinner rolls recipe. One thing though, the dough should not be very loose not very dry. If dough is too wet, resulting dinner rolls tends to be more flat. It does not mean it should be very dry either. (Make sure to follow instructions. I have photos for steps.)
After dough is ready, I leave it to rise at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours until dough doubles and little more in size. These days, it is cold outside, it is good to place dough in switched-off oven.
Once dough has risen, the process of making mini brioche rolls is exciting. You divide each piece of dough into two halves - one small, one big. Roll big one and place in the buttered dish. Make a thumb print and put the small one on top like a hat. This is a good kitchen activity for kids. Try sometime. (Like Ree says thank you for listening to a home chef).
A second short rise of 1 hour until pan is filled and dinner rolls are ready for tour of oven. (ready to bake). Brushing with egg wash before baking brings gorgeous festive dinner roll color on brioche. Please don't skip that. I topped it with dust of poppy and sesame seeds. Use any seeds or nuts you prefer.
Love it when Vishal is home to lend me hand with close-up pictures. He ate the roll he pulled... and one more. :-)
Follow recipe up-to step -5. First rise, rolling of dough. Freeze'em before second rise and thaw at room temperature before baking. Baking instructions and rest everything stays the same.
If you are looking for dinner rolls recipe? I bet your search will end here! I also recommend to check these additional roll recipes:
Wish you a wonderful day. I see you soon with another delicious recipe. This is Weekly Meal Plan week. Look for menu on Friday.
Brioche Dinner Rolls
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast (7 grams, I used Red Star Active Dry Yeast)
- 1 Cup Milk (lukewarm, divided)
- 3 and 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (more for dusting board)
- 4 Egg(s)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (plus 2 tablespoon, at room temperature )
- 2 tbsp Sugar (granulated white sugar)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (extra for oiling bowl)
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. To make sponge, well mix sponge ingredients flour, yeast and half cup milk in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. In bowl of stand mixer or wide mixing bowl, combine sponge with flour, olive oil, sugar, salt, remaining milk, and 3 whole eggs and one yolk. (refrigerate remaining one egg white for egg wash). With spatula or paddle attachment mix everything. On slow speed, add room temperature butter 1/4 cup at a time until incorporated. Shift to hook attachment or transfer dough to flour dusted board. Knead for 6 minutes with dough hook or 10 minutes manually.
3. Transfer dough to oiled clean wide bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and dry kitchen towel. Place in a dry dark place until dough doubles in size. At-least 2 hours.4. Punch down the dough and let rest for 5 minutes. In meantime, oil spray a 9" pie dish or sheet pan.
5. Divide dough into 15-16 equal portions.6. From each portion, make one 1 inch ball, and one bigger with remaining. Place bigger ball in pie dish. Make a thumb impression in the center and place small ball on top. Repeat this step for all remaining dough until dish is filled with mini brioche dough rolls. Cover with dry kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour.
7. When ready to bake, preheat oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Gently spread egg wash on top and sprinkle seeds. Bake rolls for 20-22 minutes or until tops are golden brown and bigger brioche rolls register 190 degrees internal temperature. Let cool for 5 minutes, then immediately scrap the sides with knife and transfer to a wire rack. Cool for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Additional NotesBrush salted melted butter before serving for more flavor.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.