Instant Pot Mexican Green Rice
Mexican Rice cooked perfectly in Instant Pot. Delicious with zesty restaurant-style Mexican Green Rice flavor.
Green Rice are fragrant, and zesty Mexican Rice which get signature green color from fresh cilantro and aroma from Mexican spices - oregano and cumin. Today's recipe shows how to cook Green Rice in Instant Pot. (also including instructions to cook rice in dutch oven)
Green Rice is perfect accompaniment for Mexican main dishes. Goes well with enchiladas, fish tacos, even Mexican grilled chicken. If you like Green Rice, you will also enjoy these recipe: Instant Pot Mexican Red Rice, Red Beans, Pollo Asado, Guacamole and Salsa.
So, let's get cooking!
MEXICAN GREEN RICE
Green Rice (Arroz Verde) is a lively side dish in a Mexican Meal. You will often find Mexican restaurants serving side of Red Rice or Green Rice and beans with every meal. Cilantro, zesty jalapeno, spices and lime add amazing depth of flavor to humble white rice. No wonder, why Mexican plate is incomplete without side of these rice.
WHAT IS IN GREEN RICE RECIPE?
Mexican Green Rice are not difficult to cook. In-fact super easy and you can prepare it in just about any vessel of choice. Green Rice need simple pantry ingredient - only 8 ingredients to make.
Chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
Oil, and Salt on the house.
NOTE: You can also replace Cilantro with Spinach or use half-and-half for more rich green colored rice.
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE SPECIAL?
Let me sum up these Green Rice recipe for you:
1. Authentic Green Rice: The most special is authentic Mexican Rice flavor. Moment open the the Instant Pot, the aroma of cooked green rice will transport you to favorite Mexican Restaurant.
2. Quick Cooking in Instant Pot: The Instant Pot makes green rice quick and with perfect result every time.
3. Simple Pantry Ingredients: This recipe needs simple pantry ingredients. If you have cilantro and rice with basic Mexican spices. This delicious side can be ready at moment's notice.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GREEN RICE
Any Mexican Meal will benefit from side of Green Rice. I recommend serving Green Rice with tacos, fill in burritos, enchiladas. Even grilled/roasted chicken will taste delicious with side of green rice.
MORE INSTANT POT MEXICAN RICE RECIPES:
1. Mexican Red Rice
2. Garlic Brown Rice
3. Mexican Rice and Chicken Burrito Bowl
Instant Pot Mexican Green Rice
- 1. Prepare Ingredients - *Rinse rice until water runs clear. Add chopped cilantro and 1/2 cup chicken stock to blender. Puree and set aside. Dice white onion. De-seed, mince jalapeno. Mince garlic. Set aside. Additional Notes: Very important to *rinse rice for this recipe.
- 2. Set instant pot to "Regular" saute setting. When pot reads "hot". Add oil and butter. Let butter melt. Add onion, and garlic. Saute stirring often until onions are soft. (2-3 minutes) Add oregano, cumin, minced jalapeno (if using) and continue saute for 1 more minute. Additional Notes: Follow Recipe Notes to cook rice in Dutch Oven
- 3. Add rinsed white rice and saute for 2 more minutes. Switch off Instant Pot's saute setting. Instant Pot will read "off". Additional Notes: You can also continue and saute rice until these turn milky white. This yields a chewy rice texture.
- 4. Add cilantro-stock puree, salt, remaining 1 cup chicken stock, 2 tbsp of water and 2 tbsp lime juice. Check **seasoning - salt. Stir to mix well. Pressure cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. Let pressure ****Natural Release. After 15 minutes, open and fluff rice with fork. Add remaining cilantro. Serve warm with side of lime wedges. Enjoy!
YOU CAN ALSO COOK RICE in
Pressure Cooker: Pressure cooker instructions are same as Instant Pot since I cooked rice at Pressure Cooker setting of Instant Pot.
Dutch Oven Or Pot on Stove: Follow steps as-is up-to to step-3 above but use 2 cups water/stock for every one cup of white rice. Bring to boil on high heat, then simmer covered until water has been absorbed. Let cool a little then fluff with fork.
*Rinse: Starchy grain are better rinsed to get rid of excess starch before cooking in Instant Pot. For this recipe, I highly recommend rinsing rice until water runs clear. This and switching-off IP after saute is very important. These help Instant Pot plate cool down. Very important if your IP heats fast and flash "burn" when cooking starchy grains such as Rice.
**Seasoning: Once everything is mixed in (step-4). Taste and adjust salt. Salt should be just a little more than what you prefer. It adjust well in cooking. Follow this and always eat perfectly seasoned rice.
***Natural/Normal Release is letting Pressure Release on it's own which is about 10-12 minutes for a standard Instant Pot. Quick Release is Instant Release.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.