It's New Year!! drum-rolls!!!
What a year!! Busy, exciting, more busy and super quick. :-)
Have you planned your year? New resolutions? Or Like me, repeat of last year? ;)
I'm not sure about you but I often loose track of resolutions in few months. Priorities change. Can't help. It is life. Isn't it? So from past few years, I decide to take life as it comes and make only short-term resolutions. (a month or 2 month kind).
My January's goal is to get diet back on track. Seriously, I'm going carb-free for January and following South Beach Diet Plan. I can't believe I have decided to make an open statement. Actually, it is good. Someone once told me, if you want to succeed in a goal, make an open announcement. :) I just did!
You guys! Get ready. Expect lots of carb-free meals whole January. I'm going to share all progress on Instagram @savitachefdehme Don't forget to look for my stories. (hint hint)
If you are new to South Beach Diet? It is low-carb, low-sugar and high protein diet with lots of fresh food, lean protein and less refined/sugary stuff. Idea is to fill your plate with low carb and low-sugar foods instead of breads, noodles, or sweets. It is good way to cleanse body, get your strength back and loose weight while doing so.
Collection currently has my top favorite 20 South Beach Diet recipes. (few bonus breakfast smoothies). I'll update this with 10 New Recipes as month progress. You can pin this page and use this for reference whole month.
Note: Few of recipes have base of quinoa. Please note that quinoa is not carb-free. When I'm making carb-free meals.. I replace quinoa with cauliflower rice or zucchini, or portion control to limit serving.
South Beach Diet Phase 1 Meal Planning
Follows the list of foods (ingredients) that are recommended in the Phase 1 of South Beach Diet. (always exercise portion control as too much of anything is not good.)
- Lean Proteins - You are encouraged to eat lean meats such as white meat chicken, seafood. Vegetable proteins such as soy protein such as soy milk, soy bean, chickpeas, beans.
- Vegetables and Legumes - This diet encourages you to eat lot of vegetables. At least 1/2 a cup for breakfast and 2 cups for lunch and dinner. Eat vegetables such as spinach, cabbage, celery, kale, onions, citrus, bell pepper, arugula, broccoli, egg plant, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, asparagus.
- Fats - Avoid high glycerides fats and stick to good fats that are monosaturated. Eat avocado, seafood. Use olive oil and avocado oil in moderation.
- Dairy Foods - Use low-fat or fat free cheese such as feta. Fresh cheese such as cottage cheese, paneer. Low-fat yogurt. Eggs. Limit yourself to 1-2 servings per day.
- Nuts - Limit nut consumption to one snack a day. Prefer raw nuts over fried or roasted. Almonds, pepita seeds, flax seeds are perfect for phase 1.
- Others - You can drink coffee and tea but prefer unsweetened.
Tip: All recipes listed below are or can be Phase 1. Substitute ingredient that is not Phase 1 with one listed in the list above. e.g. replace rice or pasta with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. Use white meat chicken breast instead of chicken thigh meat.
Foods to Avoid in Phase 1
- Red meat such as beef, lamb, pork, honey baked ham, veal.
- Chicken thighs, wings.
- Bread, rice, pasta, cake, matzo, cereals. Use a smoothie for breakfast instead of cereal.